Do you want to connect your TV to the television to enjoy viewing something on your computer, on a bigger screen? Well, watching family photos or videos on the bigger TV screen along with your family sure is fun. If you are clueless about how can you connect your computer directly to the TV in a quick way, then fret no more.
It is indeed simple and very much possible to be done in a faster way. So now, you can not only enjoy comprehensive channel lineups as offered by Spectrum TV or other big cable providers but also view your laptop content over your TV screen. For that, you would require certain basic tools including an HDMI cable and adapters.
Here comes another pro-tip-before you begin, check that your computer must be placed near your TV so that the HDMI cable can reach it easily. Before we jump on how you can connect your laptop to your TV, first let us find out a bit about HDMI cables that will be required.
HDMI is a universal standard for transferring audio or video files from one device to another. It is a relatively thin cable and has good potential for defined images. It is capable of offering better resolution and is bidirectional.
An added advantage of HDMI cable over the previous ones is the fact that it can transfer both audio and video. This has resulted in a simplified set-up when it comes to connecting your laptop with the TV to enjoy live streaming or family videos with your loved ones, on the bigger screen.
Determining the Connection type for Computer
Though HDMI works almost every time, for connecting a device to the television, there can be some devices that might require an HDMI connector of a different size or any special cable. So you can check that and make sure you have any such additional tools.
Mainly there are three types of HDMI connectors including Standard, Mini and Micro. They differ based on the size of the devices.
How to connect Laptop to TV?
Now, we are all set to connect the laptop to your TV via HDMI cable. Follow the following steps:
- Get an HDMI cable.
- Take one end of the HDMI cable and place it into the HDMI port located on the TV. Note the HDMI input number to which it is connected.
- Next, plug the other end of the HDMI cable to the computer’s out port or in a suitable adapter for your laptop.
- In case you are using an adapter, you should connect the adapter to the computer.
- Make sure that the TV and computer both are turned on.
- Next, adjust the TV to the HDMI Input port.
How to identify Computer display?
In case your computer display does not appear on the TV, you will have to manually detect the display.
When the TV has been identified as a display on your computer, you can adjust the settings and choose as per your preferences.
- First, right click on an empty space on the desktop. Next choose Display Settings.
- Once the Display Settings window appears check if the Windows has identified the presence of another screen. The identify button will help you decide which screen is which.
How to set up display preferences?
- Once the computer has identified both the displays, you can now select the preferences. Here is how to do it:
- Choose the display that is meant for the TV screen. You can do this by making use of the Display Menu.
- Go to the Multiple Displays and from here, select how do you want the TV display to function.
- You will see two options mainly. These two settings include Duplicate Desktop and Extend Desktop to the display.
- In case you choose Extend Desktop, it will expand the work space as you can now display different things on every screen.
- You can also choose Duplicate Desktop that will allow the picture on your computer to be displayed on the TV screen.
The aforementioned steps give you an easy guide to connecting a laptop to the TV via HDMI cable. All you require is an HDMI cable and a connector if needed, and you are all set to begin setting up. It is a simple process and you will be able to connect the computer to the TV screen in no time.